Re: Message Boards

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:23:13 -0500
 To:  "HWG: Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
MySQL...or any RDMS...is not required for PHP.  Relational
databases are, however, the easiest and most efficient way to
handle data storage with PHP.

Not to stir your pot, but have you considered switching to a host
that can handle both?  I work with TVCNet.com...I have for 2
years...and they have lots of PHP/MySQL apps on those virtual
servers...:).

We've used phorum (phorum.com), which is PHP/MySQL, and it's a
snap to set up and quite reliable.  Toss in a Web-based database
manager like phpMyAdmin, and you can export your entire database
into an SQL-formatted ASCII file suitable for download whenever
the mood strikes you.  Reinstalling the database is as simple as
reading the file back into MySQL....