Re: Tables or frames ?

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:16:20 -0500
 To:  <tstephens(at)mebudgetads.com>,
"HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I would like to now the difference between frames and tables, I mean
> which is better for a main menu on the left of my web site.

Ted,

  Quick answer is tables.  They are much much easier to set up and work
with.  An important consideration for someone starting out.  They are also a
little more compatible with search engines.

  Framed pages have uses too.  The "frame" page basically is a different
kind of web page that divides up the monitor display into parts.  Then you
put navigation in one part and web pages in another.  Navigation then stays
put and never has to change.  You click on navigation links or buttons and
the main page changes.

  This concept works great for simple WebSites but gets more complicated for
large ones with a lot of depth.  You may end up nesting menus.  If you would
like to see an example of a complex use of frames, see
http://www.laisha.com/search

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net