Re: To .meta http-equiv= OR .meta name= ????

by =?Windows-1252?B?TGF1cmkgVuRpbg==?= <optima(at)hot.ee>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Sep 2000 21:40:40 +0300
 To:  "JamesKB" <jameskb(at)mindspring.com>,
"HWG" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
James (and everybody else),

> .<meta http-equiv=�keywords� content=�wordone wordtwo wordthree etc�>
> or
> .<meta name=�keywords� content=� wordone wordtwo wordthree etc�>

I would recommend using the <meta name="keywords" content="blash1, blah2, blah3
etc">.

Snip from a Meta tags FAQ I wrote.
<snip1>
I've heard that there are two types of meta tags. What does it mean?

Yes, basically the meta tags could be divided into two groups - meta tags with
the NAME attribute and meta tags with the HTTP-EQUIV attribute. The attribute
Specifies whether the META tag contains descriptive information about the page
(NAME) or HTTP header information (HTTP-EQUIV).
</snip1>

<snip2>
What is the meta HTTP-EQUIV tag exactly?

When you click on a link then the browser sends a request to the web server via
the HTTP. The web server verifies that the file you're requesting is there, if
yes then it sends you a response. This response contains information, which may
be of use by displaying the page in the browser. This data response is called
the 'HTTP header block'.
Coming back to meta tags, the meta HTTP-EQUIV tags are equal to the normal
headers. They control or just direct the actions of the browser of some other
agent. They may specify whether the page should be cached by the browser, the
date the page expires etc.
</snip2>

<snip3>
Why are the meta NAME tags useful?

The meta tags with the NAME attribute don't correspond to HTTP headers. They
contain information about the content of the page. They specify whether the page
should be added to the index of the search engines and have some more uses. You
can add the description and the additional keywords to this tag. This tag may
also contain author and copyright information.
</snip3>

The keywords tag is used to give information about the content of the page/site
so go with the META NAME.

And about your question related to separating keywords, I'd suggest a comma and
whitespace separated list(, ) as it's probably the most safe way to do it.

Oh, and I recommend placing the meta keywords tag right after the <title> tag.

Yours,
Lauri