Re: XHTML

by Thomas James Allen <tjallen(at)pipeline.com>

 Date:  Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:33:12 -0500
 To:  "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:21 AM 1/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't really have a problem, just wondering what people on the list think
>about XHTML, now that the spec is being recommended by the W3C.
<snipped rest>
-------------
Check this article on xhtml, which gives the basics
and warning cautions that web designers currently need to know:
http://webreference.com/xml/column6/index.html

As for using xhtml now, on my personal website, I first have to meet the
xhtml requirement that all my pages validate! When I accomplish that, and
make sure all my tags are in lowercase, and are closed, and all my
attributes are quoted, and all my scripts external, and, and, and... then I
can convert to xhtml. It will be a gradual transition for me, on my personal
pages!

In the professional context (I'm an independent contractor), no one has
asked me for xhtml yet, though there are people talking about xml as the
next big thing. I have yet to find any companies asking me to convert their
current inventory databases or other databases to xml. They have too much
invested in the older systems and software, company-wide. Maybe start-ups
and newer companies will not have this inertia, but I haven't worked for one
recently.

I understand that people are inventing software to convert older databases
into xml documents (csv to xml), which I could then use to create online
informational and e-commerce websites. No one's having me do this yet, either.

Never-the-less, I'm taking it all seriously enough that I've bought and read
parts of two books on xml, and read (and print out and save) helpful
articles around the web on it. I've examined some of the basic sample pages
and exercises in these books and articles. I don't want to become
out-of-date yet. I wonder sometimes if I'll ever use it, though. Is it all
sound and fury, signifying nothing?

:-)
jimmy
---