Re: Recommendations = Resources

by Heather Clark <iris777888(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:06:54 -0800 (PST)
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks to those that actually provided suggestions for
editors. I appreciate it.

To those who asked, I need a Windows based solution. I
will take your suggestions and look into Composer, see
about cheap copies of Dreamweaver, etc. My friend does
not qualify for educational copies of software
unfortunately.  I will definitely NOT tell them to use
Word. I just cannot bear the thought of the code it
produces.

I get the digest, so I wasn't even aware there was a
big discussion going on until today. I did not intend
to start a war with the handcoders against the
editors. That is exactly why I didn't get into the
specifics about why I need this. I didn't want people
to tell me why or why not it is a good idea to use a
wysiwyg editor because I've already determined in this
situation its necessary. Sometimes when someone needs
help with something on the list, why do we not just
help them without questioning why they want the help??
I guess we want to educate too...

Myself, I learned HTML in 1997 using notepad. I
continued to handcode using homesite until I got a job
where I was working on sites in the hundreds to
thousands of pages. At that point I found that I
needed the help of something larger and Dreamweaver
was what the company used. I now use UltraDev because
its what my organization provides. I still hand code
sometimes but would never consider go back to doing
things in notepad. There are reasons why the editors
exist and in will always be cases for or against them.
Each situation is different.

Again, thanks to all who helped me out.

Heather

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:29:58 -0500
From: "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>
Subject: Re: Recommendations = Resources

Granted, it is preferable to do it right, to learn
html, to make it
cross-browser compatible, etc.  The question was about
where to find a
cheap
wysiwyg editor (not whether it was a good idea to go
this route), and
most
Windows users have one installed already.
For the heck of it I made a short, ugly page in Word
97 and uploaded it
http://bronzefrogs.com/tests/This.htm you can check
the code and see
that it
tosses in a bunch of FONT codes and knows noting about
DTDs or css.
Nevertheless, a page that was quick to make in Word
looks online (in
MSIE
and Netscape 6 at least) the same as it does in Word.
Just a
thought.....