RE: QBASIC

by Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>

 Date:  Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:02:31 -0500
 To:  "Pinder,
Susan" <spinder(at)stlawrencecement.com>,
"'Rachel Sz'" <Pray(at)netnitco.net>,
HWG <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Susan!

At 08:55 AM 4/5/00 -0400, Pinder, Susan wrote:

>I think you just type the commands into any text editor and save as a bat
>file type.. then run from the DOS command prompt.

Well...not quite.  The "batch interpreter" is built in to the operating
system, and, although quite powerful, does not have the capabilities of
QBasic as far as the array of programming constructs that you can use.

>Have you considered Visual Basic for Applications instead?  They might enjoy
>creating visual interfaces and putting code behind buttons.

IMHO, this might be a good place to start, but QBasic can get a student up
to speed on general programming concepts somewhat quickly, whereas the GUI
interface of VBA may be a distraction until some experience with writing
code is gained.

>-susan

Michael Jon Muehlendorf
E-Mail: mailto:coyote(at)scenic-bluffs.com
WWW: http://www.scenic-bluffs.com/fsg/