Re: Best way to control font size?

 Date:  Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:00:06 -0400
 To:  "JamesKB" <jameskb(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi James (et al),

At 10:13 PM 9/13/00 -0500, JamesKB wrote:
>[snip]
>
>> The other relative values (<.font size="75%">) stink in tables - real bad.
>> Besides . . . I'm not so sure you can do a "font percent" legally anyway .
>> . . can you?
>
>Thanks for you input.  Why do you say they "stink" in tables??

Because of their relative nature. Remember, when we are talking font
definitions each cell is an island - know what I mean? You have to define
the font in *each cell* of a table in order for the attributes you want to
work . . . to actually work, right?

Sure you do.

SO . . .

A relative size value (75%) has no "foundation" unless you also have a
fixed size font defined in that ~same cell~ . . . right? Right.

So, while the actual definition (75%) will validate (I'll gladly take your
word), it can render unpredictably because of what is technically a syntax
error.

>I've used "font percents" in tables many times and they seem to work ok?

Oh, I believe you James. I think it would only be noticeable in very
"tightly" formatted pages.

> As for the
>"legally anyway "... my code always validates with WC3. Any more thoughts??

You can't ask more then w3 validation James. Well . . . except for the
experience you gain by being old farts like me and Ted.

HTH,
Fuzzy