Re: Follow on from 'doctype question'

 Date:  Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:41:57 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Charles,

WOW. You're right about those two elements!!

Please note however, that the DTD *is* required.

For those who find reference links a pain <grin> allow me to quote:

"7.2 HTML version information
A valid HTML document declares what version of HTML is used in the
document. The document type declaration names the document type definition
(DTD) in use for the document (see [ISO8879]).

HTML 4.01 specifies three DTDs, so authors must include one of the
following document type declarations in their documents. The DTDs vary in
the elements they support.

The HTML 4.01 Strict DTD includes all elements and attributes that have not
been deprecated or do not appear in frameset documents. For documents that
use this DTD, use this document type declaration: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

The HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD includes everything in the strict DTD plus
deprecated elements and attributes (most of which concern visual
presentation). For documents that use this DTD, use this document type
declaration: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

The HTML 4.01 Frameset DTD includes everything in the transitional DTD plus
frames as well. For documents that use this DTD, use this document type
declaration: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
"

HTH,
Fuzzy.