Re: A newbie Question

by Rick Alexander <tralexan(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:01:43 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:47 AM 12/13/01 -0800, Michael McKee wrote:

>However, coding is only half the battle.  I've seen a lot of technically
>correct, validating pages that are ugly. You may have some understanding
>of graphic design with your writing background, but if you don't you
>might consider taking some graphic design classes.  Good code absolutely
>doesn't equal good design.

I would like to second this statement. I come at html from the graphics
side of things and I think this problem is much more prevalent and serious
than bad coding (and I am a validator). Good design is only subjective
after certain objective ctitera have been met. And, the basic tenets of
good design, from a visual standpoint, are ignored, it seems, more often
than not when building web pages.

Regardless of the software used, none can, in and of itself, produce a well
designed page. The idea seems to be that, by using Photoshop, Dreamweaver,
Illustrator, Flash or any of the "latest and greatest", one can produce a
visually viable web page. When in fact it is no more possible than becoming
a better writer by buying a better word processor. It is simply absurd.

It should go without saying, but the evidence is to the contrary, so.... At
least learn the basics of design before designing.

--rick

Rick Alexander
Eighthday Web Design & Hosting Services
Knoxville, Tennessee