Re: Broadly Accessible (was Re: Table problem

by "Mike O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 16 May 2001 10:39:38 -0400
 To:  HWG-basics <HWG-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jakob (et al),

the 3.2 strict DTD will display *very* successfully back to at least
version 3.X of NN and MSIE. Additionally, it will display just as reliably
in NN6, MSIE 5.X etc..

*YES* you can definitely use XML/XHTML/4.X without *crashing* the 3.x
browsers. ~However~ the markup you use that references a style sheet
(whether internal or external) can NOT be relied on to display reliably (if
at all) in 3.x browser versions.

So . . . given that 3.2 WILL work in all of them and XML/XHTML/4.X will
work but the (integral) CSS elements are not supported in the old(er)
browsers, I would have to strongly recommend writing to the 3.2 (strict or
"final") DTD.

HTH,
Fuzzy.