Re: legalities of encryption - Emailing info

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:25:51 -0500
 To:  "Dixie" <dixie(at)kandi.org>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dixie,

I've been skimming your posts and I completely understand your questions. I
work with a non-profit that just started taking memberships on-line -- so
new, that it's still in preview or I'd send you the link.

If this is just a one-time deal and the club does not currently have a
shopping cart or merchant account, check out PayPal's business accounts
with WebAccept. They sign up for an account and you put a button on the
site. The discount rate is 1.9-percent and someone does have to go into
PayPal to request the funds be electronically transferred to the club's
account. This service avoids the shopping cart/merchant account issue since
PayPal handles it on their secure servers. Since you are looking into
setting something up for conventions, I believe you may want to investigate
this one.

Also, for what I call baby eCommerce where the club has a merchant account
(make sure their bank knows this is going on-line, some banks get a little
nervous about using their accounts for something other than was originally
intended), you may also want to look at http://www.mals-e.com/ -- I've used
his *shopping cart* service and it took a bit to get it working right, but
has been a big help for a client I have that is not far enough into
eCommerce for her own shopping cart program. Plus, it was easy for me to
learn.

Good luck!
Tamara