Re: search engine refinement

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:23:48 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Ah... This looks more like a job for a Database and query sort of an
arrangement, probably with server-side includes.
Instead of making the pages the computer will generate them as needed. Even
an internal search engine is intended to serve as a dynamic index to the
content of the pages, rather than to the pages themselves. Your main
database might have several fields.... An unique key number; A model type,
perhaps year, a title description, and then a detailed description. You
then make one page, with drop downs for the first fields to narrow the
query, and then will fill in the details and the picture from the database
when an individual car is selected

Sounds good, but I haven't a clue as to how to do it. I am working with
databases like this in Visual Basic Application Development but that is a
different department. Maybe some others here will have ideas on how to do this.