Re: JavaScript in table tags

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:11:47 +0100
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
> From what I understand, the W3C put together a list of *recommendations*
> for people to follow as they write their code.  I don't believe you must
> strictly adhere to it as law.
<snip/>

Yes and no.

The W3 publishes the formal standards for web related technologies. In an
ideal world, browsers would only cope with HTML that adhered to these
standards and authors would only generate complaint HTML. Browsers would be
faster (no error correcting code) and more predictable (lots of browser
problems are caused by their own error correction).

As it happens, most browsers will cope with non-standard HTML, so you don't
have to write valid HTML. Unless you have a really really good reason for
writing invalid code you shouldn't do it. Imagine how difficult English
would be if I followed my own rules of grammar, instead of the ones
everybody else uses.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/