Re: Follow on from 'doctype question'

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:22:19 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Charles,
>
>WOW. You're right about those two elements!!
>
>Please note however, that the DTD *is* required.

Mr Fuzzy, I love you, you just saved me a load of typing.

I knew (I thought!) the <html> tag was optional IF there was a
doctype, but the <head> being optional I'm puzzled by. This is from
the spec:

"Every HTML document must have a TITLE element in the HEAD section."

If this is so, then every document must have a head section, or don't
I understand my native language any more?? Can you create a 'head'
section without <head>blurb</head>?

This was the response I got from CJB.net:

"The only people who still think unneeded codes are necessary are the W3
folks, who don't program browsers."

Tonight their site would not load with either NN4.74 or IE5 - both on
a Mac - which I didn't mention before - sorry.

Cheers.
Freda

--
A man who would letterspace lower case would also steal sheep - Frederic Goudy