Re: RE: copyright

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:30:27 EDT
 To:  Dennis.Lapcewich(at)unisa.edu.au,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Dennis:

You wrote:

>In the case of the original poster to this list on the subject, IMHNLO,
>it looks like the horse has already bolted from the barn and recourse on
their
>specific issue may be a lost cause. :)

Well - not exactly.

The original creator does not "have to" register a copyright in order to be
protected.  BUT- in order to *sue* for damages, you must register the
copyright.

If I understand correctly, this copyright must be registered within 3 months
of publication of their work in order to collect *maximum* damages.

This doesn't mean that damages can't be collected beyond this time limit -
only the amount of damages is then restricted.

Unfortunately, it sometimes comes down to who's got the deeper pockets when
it comes to pursuing this action.

- Jeff Kopito