Re: DSL Lines

by 2Nerotik <2nerotik(at)nisa.net>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Jan 2000 17:36:56 -0800
 To:  hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ahh finally an interesting topic (actually everything but the SPAM
topics have been interesting)... well to me anyway since I've
been looking into this the last couple of days.

First of all where can I find Black Ice ? I've already looked into
Guard Dog and like what I see so far, for those interested it's
made by McAfee but make sure you uninstall their AntiVirus
not just disable when trying Guard Dog or you WILL get the
blue screen of death if you decide not to keep Guard Dog and
just uninstall it, this is because Guard Dog already runs the same
AntiVirus software and it creates conflicts.

Next question is what is the difference between the 2 and what are
the strengths/weaknesses of each as compared to each other ?

and for those really interested in more info about being online all the time
via either cable or DSL the read this article. I'm not the paranoid type but
neither am I a fool, if you don't protect yourself you WILL get hacked just
a matter of when.

http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/cybercrime/spyfiles/story/0,3700,2190636,00.html

>Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 15:27:25 -0500
>From: Allan Liska <allan(at)spectrum-computers.com>
>
>Of course...anytime you have a direct always-on connection to the
>Internet you run into potential security risks.
>
>You can minimize those risks in several ways.  If you have consumer DSL,
>you can install a program like Black Ice or Guard Dog to help protect
>your system.  If you have business class DSL, your router will have some
>built-in, but very limited protections in place.  You best bet is to
>either build a firewall:
>
>http://www2.linuxjournal.com/cgi-bin/frames.pl/lj-issues/issue25/1204.html
>
>Or, if you are unlucky enough to not be running Linux you can buy a
>firewall from one of the many companies out there:
>
>Sonicwall (www.sonicwall.com)
>InterManage (www.intermanage.com)
>
>Hope this helps
>
>allan