Re: Cookie Free Site?

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:58:35 +1000
 To:  Michael Ricker <staff(at)managementspecialties.com>
 Cc:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 17:12 27/03/00 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a client that is scared "cookieless" thanks to the media hype around
>on-line privacy.  I have explained what my client does with their site does
>not correlate to what the media hype is about but they don't care. Cookies
>are evil, they are bad, etc.

Rather than extensive redesign - have you looked into having a public
privacy policy available?  Most major sites have one nowadays!

The idea is "Cookies can be GOOD provided you tell the user EXACTLY why you
are using them" - eg to stop them getting the same question twice in a
survey.  When explained in simple terms it sometimes

You could also look into the initiatives of the W3C with respect to privacy
(although this is still under development the last time I looked).

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au