Re: Critique Request

by "Toller" <toller(at)ntlworld.com>

 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:27:19 +0100
 To:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_Sch=F6ning?= <gerhard.schoening(at)talknet.de>,
"HWG Critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dear Gerhard,

Thank you so much for taking so much trouble to look at my site - it was
extremely kind of you!
http://www.wren.f2s.com/testbed/dlk/

> I'm German, I'm into XHTML, CSS, and accessibility... and I'm working on a
> few quote pages for the small German Evangelic (Lutheran) Church of our
> village right now - so it's a 'must' for me to critique your site :-)
This is amazing - what a coincidence, and what a small world this is!

> Maybe you think about the warning, though...
Yes, thanks, I'm having another go with this one.

> As to the German content - I would correct or reword a few expressions and
> maybe sentences
Very kind of you to proof-read as well. Actually, I am quite amazed that I
didn't make more errors than this (and of course, some were not mine but the
church's!).

> "...haben Sie eine erste Verbindung hergestellt - lassen Sie sich leicht
> einladen, die Gemeinden n&auml;her kennenzulernen!" is one of a handful of
> sentences that are "English" German ;-)
Yes, I suspect that the Pfarrer's wife (a US colleague of mine) wrote much
of the content :)

> and there are many of those typical long, nested German
> sentences - very good :-)
Yes, I was going nuts trying to type it all in without making a mistake -
and only understanding about half of it! I have now also become quite an
expert with special characters...

> just like all the other terms of Hi-Tech/Computer that have been
> invading our country for decades ;-)
Well, we've been 'invaded' too - it's all US English these days - we just
have to get used to it :)

> IMHO, I would change the "gold" color of visited links as well as of
> subheadings on page "Aktuelles" to a darker shade (maybe some ochre that
> goes well with gold) for reasons of readability on the white body
background
> which I also would change to a VERY pale yellow like #fffff7 - it makes
the
> site look "warmer" than plain white - give it a try ;-)
Yes, I have now changed these. The gold is now a bit softer and darker.
FFFFF7!?!?!? Well, for the first time in my life I am branching out from the
web-safe colours. I almost feel guilty!

Thank you very much for your kind comments, BTW.

> <?XML VERSION="1.0" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE PUBLIC HTML XHTML TRANSITIONAL//EN"
> "HTTP://WWW.W3.ORG/TR/XHTML1/DTD/XHTML1-TRANSITIONAL.DTD" "-//W3C//DTD
1.0>
> <?XML-STYLESHEET HREF="dlk.css" ? TYPE="text/css">
> <HTML XML:LANG="de" XMLNS="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" LANG="de">
> the lines with the question marks will show up as code lines(!!) on top of
> your page in IE 3.01 (maybe in other older browsers, too).
Thank you SO much for this tip, I hadn't realised. I did wonder, though
about those ?s

Jenny

jenny.toller(at)ntlworld.com

HWG: hwg-critique mailing list archives, maintained by Web Professional Association - IWA