Ani Backgrounds ugh

by "Eric J Hoffman" <ehoffman(at)minn.net>

 Date:  Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:41:44 -0500
 To:  "Charlie and Rachel Kennerly" <r-ck(at)lcc.net>
 Cc:  "HWG G III" <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hey....I realize this post is a week old....and may have been dealt with in
the deluge of emails in my inbox (thank god for filtering)

Be very careful with the animated background thing...I toyed with the idea a
while ago, and the conclusion that you (and most users) would come to is
that a huge ani background will take forever to download.  Second, but most
important is how difficult it will be for people reading the page and trying
to gather data....the ani would distract from the reading, and trying to get
the eye to adjust to huge variations in background v. type.  It is very
difficult for many people.  Just some things to keep in mind when we discuss
usability over our desire for "cool" graphics.

Eric J Hoffman
Director of Internet Initiatives
Meagher & Geer, PLLP