Re: Background won't show

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:28:29 -0000
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Hi,
> Will somebody please take a look at my page at
> http://www.desoto.net/users/wwwkef/validate.html and
> tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I've added a background
> jpg.  It shows up fine in NN and not at all in IE.
> Also, since I added it and the table, my heading is
> very small in NN although it looks fine in IE.  Thanks
> for your help.
> Kef

The background problem is caused by the fact that you are using an external
stylesheet. In that stylesheet you have specified that the body attribute is
colour white, with no background image specified. The image is specified
only in the HTML body tag. IE ignores the html tag because it assumes the
CSS attributes to be more important. NS, on the other hand, doesn't take
background image info from an external stylesheet, so it accepts the HTML
tag. To get it to appear in IE change the body part of the CSS sheet to be:

BODY {
 background: #ffffff;
 background-image : url("fchsback.jpg");
}

Leave the HTML body tag as it is or NS won't see the background.

I haven't looked too closely at the headings, but I suspect that that is a
CSS thing as well.

HTH

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net