Software does not a designer make

by Eliza and Zoe <halywn(at)xenon.net>

 Date:  Tue, 08 Jun 1999 06:55:27 +1000
 To:  "L. J. Durham" <taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk>,
Liliane Miller <lmiller(at)carolina.rr.com>,
Hwg-Graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 17:14 7/06/99 +0100, L. J. Durham wrote:
>ROFL forgive me if my post ends up sounding elitist but here goes:
>
>This issue is no different than the plague thats faced graphic
>designers for years.
>
>I will maintain till my last breath that having software doesnt make
>one a designer.

This reminds me of a story you might find amusing :)

I worked as speculative artist for Yellow Pages over here in Australia a
few years back.  At one stage they were talking about giving the sales reps
laptops with Corel Draw on it so that they could do spec art in the field.
I pointed out that these peoples total experience with computers was
entering data on a terminal, and that Corel Draw was a bit more then that,
and that they would be better off doing rough sketches with pad and pencil.
 One of the reps jumped up and said "But I can't draw a straight line!"  I
replied "Then what makes you think you can with a computer?"

The idea was scraped when it was discovered that, although most of them
thought it would be wonderful to have the technology, they realised that it
took more then technology to design ads.

Eliza