Re: Photoshop 4.0.1 - nav graphics

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:53:59 -0400
 To:  "Henry Boleszny" <seaeagle(at)one.net.au>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>My problem is that our web site requires more effective site navigation
>graphics. At the moment, all I have is plain text on a transparent
>background.  What I want is a 3D button effect.
>
>I have found out how to add a border to a simple image - but that creates a
>solid colour which gradually becomes lighter as it 'flows' towards the
>graphic's center. A 'true' 3D would highlight two adjacent 'edges' while
>'darkening' the opposite two.
>
>Henry John Boleszny

One way to add a border is to use the Stroke command. If you want the
button to retain a transparent background, it will have to be output
in gif format (actually, gif 89a, probably found in the File menu /
Export submenu). Depending on the situation, you may have to select
the background and make it transparent (delete it, and possibly check
a transparency option -- I don't recall how PS 4 handles this).

Alternatively, you could make the button background the same color as
the Web page background, and not have to deal with transparency.

For 3-D effect, you may want to use a drop shadow; or a bevel.

When you're looking for a certain effect, sometimes it's helpful to
post a URL that has that effect, so we know exactly what you want.

FYI, all these operations are much easier to do in PS 5.5 than in PS 4.

Jeff