Re: FrontPage Uploading ALARMING NEWS

by "Terri Irving" <t_irving(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:18:50 PST
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

I have never had any problems with my ISP about it, and they use nothing
but Microsoft products, including FP 98 server extensions. This is the
first I've heard about it. Did they get any more specific about exactly
*what* kind of security problems the extensions caused?

Terri Irving
owner
Irving Web Design Services, Inc.
http://www.popline.com/tirving/terri/default.htm

>I sent this inquiry to my internet provider for help with uploading
>websites created in FrontPage 98.   (IMHO this is a top drawer service
>provider.  Many years of no problems with them.)  Is this a trend?
Wish I
>hadn't just spent the $150 bucks to order FrontPage if this is the
status quo!
>I wrote:
>>>Hi, I have a personal homepage with you guys.  I've used popular FTP
>>>programs to upload it.  I just started fooling with FrontPage '98 and
it is
>>>giving me problems when I go to upload (or "publish" as it says).  It
said
>>>something like my server didn't have the right FrontPage extensions
or
>some such.  Can you enlighten me?  Donna
>----- Their reply -----
>>>
>>We do not support Front Page extensions. This reason behind this is
that
>>there are some serious security risks with this application. Microsoft
has
>>acknowledged this but has yet to do anything to remedy the situation.
We