RE: Strange Netscape Problem

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)btinternet.com>

 Date:  Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:53:52 -0000
 To:  "'Ben Ocean'" <lists(at)TheWebsons.com>
 Cc:  "Hwg (E-mail)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Ben,

You are right.  Netscape 4 is still used by 13% of surfers, compared to
Microsoft's 81%.

I agree that Netscape 4 should be considered when writing pages, but they
should no longer be written "for" Netscape 4.  I prefer to think of my pages
as being "backwardly compatible" with Netscape 4.

Every time I read complaints like "I've made this page using <layer>s, but
it doesn't work in IE", I shudder in disgust.

With the version 4 browsers, Microsoft and Netscape both implemented their
own "versions" of HTML.  Netscape's implementation was too far away from the
W3C standards, buggy, and, on the whole, pretty useless.

Netscape certainly haven't done themselves any favours by taking such a long
time developing Netscape 6.

I found myself laughing hysterically once, when I went to the Netscape
download site and was confronted by something like the following message:

You are currently using:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5
Upgrade Available!
Netscape Communicator 4.76