Re: Hackers

by "Nancy Whittley" <jnwhittley(at)fuse.net>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:33:28 -0400
 To:  "Sue Bailey" <sue(at)bartandsue.co.uk>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
the password into the system.

Our sites were down for a week while they rebuilt a new server
and had to reinstall all software and then load the back ups they had.
Unfortunately some of the back ups were destroyed and the owners
of the sites didn't have back ups either.  So, I advise that you 'KNOW"
who has passwords, and keep a record.  Change it often, just in case
one of those people gives it to a friend.  And as you have done keep
a back up of the site.

Don't leave the password in a little book called passwords, and I would
certainly investigate how it happened.  If it only involved your website
then
someone who has or gained access to you password did it, and you certainly
don't want it happening again.
Good Luck
Nancy