Re: The old IE vs NN question

by "rudy" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:01:05 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Nate Harel" <nharel(at)consultant.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I am having a hard time working with tables in NN v4.5.

hi nate

welcome to de swamp!!

> Please look at this page with IE and then with NN and tell me
> what I am missing
>
>http://www.wrkts.com/TelAffinity/Pages/ContactUs.html

here's a strategy for working with your table --

 ~ turn on all borders
 ~ fix rowspan and colspan errors
 ~ remove all height=xx attributes
 ~ specify widths as per "liquid tables"
 ~ lather, rinse, repeat
 ~ turn off borders

the problem in netscape is that you aren't specifying any column widths for
the crucial columns (you do have one, the middle one at width=2%) so
netscape is balancing the columns

it looks like you want the left nav bar to be "fixed" and the main content
area to be "liquid"

check out this article --

  Liquid Tables
  http://evolt.org/article/LiquidTables/20/2321/evolt.org

a couple other tips

~ don't use divs for alignment inside table cells, use td align
~ don't use align on table tags

shout when you get past these hurdles, and don't give up!!

rudy.ca