Re: User connected for long periods ... any ideas?

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:51:42 EST
 To:  carlson(at)fgi.net,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
You're probably right Byron, nothing at all to worry about.

But the client is a consumer rights organisation.  We're conducting an
anti-spam campaign at the moment, attracting quite a bit of publicity and
having some success with the politicians in getting a bill before parliament
to penalise spammers and their isps if they don't toe the line. We had a
poll running on what consumers thought the law should be  on spam
(http://www.choice.com.au/calculators/sp1.cfm if you want to have a look)
and we had a sudden burst of voting on Thursday which we put down to a
spammer.   While the campaign is running, we have to watch the activity
closely to make sure we're not brought down by a malicious user of some
spammer.   While the campaign is running, we have to watch the activity
closely to make sure we're not brought down by a malicious user of some
kind.   And in any case, consumer rights organisations get enemies as a
matter of course.  And usually the enemies are the more well-heeled
corporations.

So we dont want to leave anything to chance.

I managed to find the support dept of this guy's isp.  He confirmed that the
ip address is a cable user.  So the guy, who pays for his internet use by
the click is busily racking up charges perhaps without even knowing what's
happening.  I guess when he gets his cable bill at the end of the month,
he'll know sure enough when he sees the bill is $5000 or whatever.

Thanks for your interest anyway.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development