RE: non-editable text area

by Emerald Spirit <emerald_spirit(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:29:51 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "'hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Since my request started this, I guess I'd better say
something here.

I do agree that generally speaking it is a bad idea to
have read-only form attributes, and I understand
John's point completely.  Its generally confusing to
the user and against the entire premise of an HTML
user input form.

However, there are times it is necessary and there are
things that can be done to make it less confusing.  In
my case I have a description memo field in a database.
 Due to issues beyond my control the memo field
essentially is a series of comments by people all
contantenated together.

The form I have allows the user to add to the
description field in the database.  Due to the nature
of the description the user is likely to add, they
need to be able to see the current database
description field in front of them while they are
entering data in my form.  The suggestion of a pop-up
window was made, but it was decided the user could too
easily 'lose' the window.  Thus the information needs
to be on the same page the data is entered into.
Since its in a memo field it needs to be in a
scrollable box to allow maximum viewing capabilities
with minimum screen realestate being used.

There was a DHTML solution that was suggested to me
and looks very interesting.  Its not what I was
originally thinking, but it can be made to look very
different than typical HTML text area boxes.  This
would lessen user confusion by making the viewable
description section look very different than the rest
of the form.

I have not yet decided exactly how I will implement
this.  I appreciate everybody's comments and help (and
warnings!).  I've got several ideas now on different
ways to deal with this problem.

Rebecca

=====
Do while Project<>Completed