Re: why use cookies for shopping cart?

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:33:00 -0600
 To:  pbabcock(at)bgsgroup.com,
"hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:30 AM 3/13/00 , Phil Babcock wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I have noticed alot of people/sites use cookies to store the information in
>a shopping cart.  Why is this?

To identify the user and create a relationship TO the data on the server.

>   What is the benefit of using this method as
>compared to storing the information on the server?

Both are required - the 'cart' is kept on the server, .. the cookie is used to identify WHICH cart belongs to THAT user.

>   What about people who disable cookies?

They must either accept  the cookie, .. or the designers can choose to not use them (we prefer to use a 'Car ID' passed as a hidden field from one form to the next, .. avoiding the cookie issue entirely).

         Lee