RE: ummm...

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:22:45 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:30 AM 08/06/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hasn't Netscape 6.0 dropped a lot of the deprecated items? or am I
>misinformed?

No, you're not misinformed.  Netscape 6 has indeed dropped some of the=20
elements it supported before but these are mainly proprietary elements like=
=20
its stupid LAYER and ILAYER tags and their corresponding JavaScript and DOM=
=20
counterparts.  It will probably drop support for other deprecated elements=
=20
too but I'm not sure which at this point.  When Netscape 6 nears completion=
=20
(which could still be months, many details changing in that time...) they=20
should have a complete list of changes which developers can refer to.   If=
=20
you are into DHTML at all, the following link details all the changes=20
Netscape 6 has made to its DOM support and the dropping of the LAYER tag=20
and how one can make the transition from that (it even details similar=20
proprietary IE 4/5 elements) and the W3C Standards way.

With the coming of NS 6 and Opera 4 as well  as the already released Mac IE=
=20
5, I believe that the days of coding pages with duct tape-like hacks,=20
fudges and workarounds are really drawing to a close.  NS 6 will be a lot=20
stricter about how it renders invalid code and Mac IE 5 already treat pages=
=20
differently depending on the Doctype Declaration inserted at the top of=20
documents or the lack of one thereof.  The only obstacles that will remain=
=20
to coding strictly to spec is the wide installed base of the buggy NS 4.x=20
and the leniency of Win IE towards bad code as well as the fact that,=20
although it has the best standards support of all current browsers on the=20
Win platform (or any platform prior to the release of Mac IE 5), that=20
support is not yet 100% and still won't be when IE 5.5's final version is=20
released.  Still, we can see light at the end of the tunnel...

St=E9phane Bergeron