Re: common font errors even on pro-designed sites

by Bennett Haselton <bennett(at)peacefire.org>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Jun 2001 19:35:55 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:33 AM 6/29/2001 -0400, Nancy J. Foster wrote:
>Bennett Haselton wrote:
> >
> > I just went to
> >

> http://www.headhunter.lycos.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/jobfindAll.asp?st=a&lr=cbly&zbid=1hIMLrLr39LrtHIMXg39tAIZtALxTUaEKJrwPIrwPITUIMCjCj
> >
> > using IE 5.5 and noticed that the text of some of the words, like
> "Exclude
> > National & Regional Jobs" (right underneat the "State" dropdown), are
> > almost unreadable.  Here's a bitmap of what it looks like on my
> machine:
> >
> > http://peacefire.org/holder/headhunter.bmp
>

>Hi Bennett,
>
>I'm on a Windows 98 machine running Netscape 4.72 and the page looks
>fine to me. The font, while small, is completely readable and appears to
>be in Arial. On the other hand, I couldn't see your .bmp file at all. :0

It works fine for me in Netscape 4.7x as well; I was trying to figure out
why it didn't seem to work in IE 5.5.  Now I know it's because I have
View-Text Size set to "Smallest"; next I'm trying to find out how common
that setting is on Windows installations of IE 5.5, since it was the
default on my install.

Netscape 4.x doesn't support BMP files at all; that's why the graphic
wasn't visible in Netscape.  (I hadn't re-installed my graphics editing
program yet, otherwise I would have uploaded it in a GIF that everyone
could see.)

         -Bennett

bennett(at)peacefire.org     http://www.peacefire.org
(425) 649 9024