Re: CSS question with NN

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 29 Apr 2002 07:36:29 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 18:14 27/04/02 -0400, Nate Harel wrote:

>I found that if I use the body tag as follows, I get the background image:
>{body .... class="bgimage"}
>where bgimage is defined in the style sheet.
>
>Two problems:
>1) In IE it shows, but I don't know how to position it farther down on the
>page

You can move it down the page a couple of ways. The hard (but NS4
compatible) way is to increase the canvas size of the image so there is
more space at the top. The easy, elegant (but NS4 incompatible) way is to
do something like this:

body {
         background-image: url(foo.gif);
         background-position: 10px 20px;
}

This will position the image 10px to the left and 20px down.

>2) It does not show in NN4 at all. It flashes on the screen as the page
>loads and then disappears.

Sounds like the tables are covering the background image, and Netscape 4
isn't honoring background-image: none. Try removing background-image: none
from the table rule in CSS.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/