Re: Linux

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:00:57 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Lisa Bradshaw" <zibbler(at)mediaone.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Your questions are all very good and valid.  The answers anyone may
provide, however, would be subjective and geared towards each user's
personal stake, experience and programming background.  I say this to just
be aware that others who may respond may offer opinions Linux is the bee's
knees while others think it's crap.   To each their own.

If I may be so bold, why do you think WinME is crap and Linux will solve
your problem(s)?  (Personally I think WinME is crap, when compared to a
more stable Win98SE or Win2000, when used as a standard desktop O/S.  As to
comparing it to Linux, you are close to comparing fish and bicycles ...)

Ease of use is a relative term.  If you can install any Windows O/S
blindfolded, with one hand tied behind your back, and have no problems to
boot, of the standard Linux distributions any will suffice with relative
easy street.  If your experience includes Unix and command line use with
DOS (pre or post Windows), you should be fine.  However, if your O/S
experience is limited to following all the directions, and rereading them
when you installed WinME with baited breath and a cold sweat, perhaps a
move up to Linux is not for you just yet.  :)

Can one use Windows software with Linux?  The answer is the same as using
Mac software on a Windows machine.  :)  Then again, if it were possible,
why ruin a quality O/S with Windows applications?  Besides, comparable
Linux applications are often included in a Linux distribution or freely
available off of the web.  The key word in that last sentence is, "freely."
You can have a complete Linux desktop up and running with a standard slate
of applications for the cost of the hardware alone.  Not possible for a
Windows desktop.  :)

Which flavor?  Chocolate, vanilla or whut? :)  Listen to the other posters
for their opinions, but don't forget more objective viewpoints such as at
cnet.com and other review sites.

Finally, just remember that replacing WinME with Linux for your desktop is
not the same as trading in that ol Piper Cub prop plane for a bit better
model.  You are effectively going from a Piper Cub to an FA18, and the
aircraft carrier thrown in.  :)

It's good to see you are wading in.   Once you're in, you'll find the water
is fine.  Besides, sharks cannot live in freshwater. :)