Re: XHTML 2.0

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 08 Oct 2002 07:25:57 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 22:59 07/10/02 -0400, Mike Taylor wrote:
<snip/>
>  Looks like you'll be updating again very soon.

Unlikely.

XHTML 2.0 will have to be served as application/xhtml+xml, which make it
incompatible with many modern browsers, including IE6. HTML 4.01 and XHTML
1.0 will continue to work well in browsers for a very long time in the future.

>It's interesting to me that they are making all these changes when the major
>browsers out there basically force XHTML through HTML parsers, leaving us
>with the annoying task of trying to make these pages look right universally.

If you serve XHTML 1.0 as text/html it should be parsed as HTML. If you
serve it with an XML type then it should be parsed as XML.

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/