=?iso-8859-1?Q?=A8Re:shared_server_and_s*p*a*m?=

by "Kim Hjortholm" <kim(at)payment4webmasters.com>

 Date:  Tue, 29 Apr 2003 06:29:31 -0100 (GMT+1)
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<snip>
 > Before I approach my web host, I wanted to find out if anyone knows if it
is
 > possible to control s*p*a*m if I'm on a shared server environment. Yes, we
 > have our emails posted on our website and would rather not resort to
 > removing them.
</snip>

I got two lines of defence:

Line 1:

My webhost http://tinyurl.com/8jcz offers email filter based on keyword plus
filtering with razor.

I have defined about 30+ filters which delete any mail where the send-from
include
specific keywords e.g.

Any mail from  BonusTree.com , unbeatabledeals.com , edd.currentmail.com,
dealnetwork, ebigsavings.com  ..... gets deleted on the server !

The effort  to identify the 25+ primary spammers where  easy, just sort the
mail by subject and/or from.
Most spammer tags the send-from with a unique id so it's necessary to filter
with
"delete any mail where send-from contains *keyword*"

This method could be used at the PC with a normal rule, but now I never see
or
download any of these mails at all

I think it removes more than 50% of the total spam

Line 2:

I tried to activate the razor filtering at the server but I found that the
spamnet addon from
www.cloudmark.com for outlook performs much better. The latest version is
terrific

I normally updates the line 1 filter once a month, sortering the spamfolder
identify any new major spammer

regards

Kim Hjortholm
http://www.colors4webmasters.com