Re: How do I do this?

by J_A_B(at)t-online.de (Jens Brueckmann)

 Date:  Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:22:55 +0200
 To:  Karin Christensen <karin(at)imagecyte.com>
 Cc:  "hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:38:17 -0700, Karin Christensen <karin(at)imagecyte.com>
wrote:

> Is there a limit as to how long the title can be, and will it always be
> one
> line long or can it have multiple lines?
>
> Karin

Hi Karin,

I did not find any reference concerning the length of a title-attribute so
I guess it could be as long as you like. However it would be a bad idea
putting long descriptions into this atrribute. This would disctract both
the reader and the listener (when using speech-capable user agents).
If your term needs further explanation you could link to a page describing
your term in detail (like the longdesc-attribute for images [1]): <a
href="explanation.html"><acronym title="blabla - please click for detailed
information">BLA</acronym></a>.

Some browsers will automatically break long lines in the "tooltip". If you
want to put your own line-breaks into the tooltip you can use the unicode
for line-feed: &#10; This does work in I.E. and as far as I remember in
Netscape 6.+ but not in Opera, where you will see the unicode string
instead.

jens

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#adef-longdesc-IMG