Re: Best viewed with...

by Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 9 Jan 1998 10:32:13 -0800 (PST)
 To:  hwg-theory <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ok, some adjustments to my comments.

I too believe that proprietary elements from Netscape or
MS are not acceptable.

I meant to be referring to the advantages/increased
options afforded by improved HTML standards, which should
in theory be followed by all browser makers.  These
features _will_ improve our ability to make more
graphically interesting sites, more easily and with more
control.  Nice to see those buttons that say "HTML 3.2" or
what ever.  However, for most users of the internet, being
able to view these improvements translates into a newer
browser.

And yes Chana, i think that a general stagnation in the
growth of designers options on the web is a BAD thing.
There are very few people today who would say that layout
and design on the web is at a satisfactory level.

LukO

===

luko(at)rocketmail.com

"Corduroy pillows: They're making headlines!" - Unattributed

Here's another good quote:

One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are
hardly possible.
--Henry Adams

---Steve Mai <Stephen.F.Mai-1(at)tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> >Without these sites, with their little buttons saying
> >"This site is best viewed/needs NN4/IE4" the rate at
which
> >people upgrade their browsers would slow down
> >tremendously.
>
> I found the following in the signature text of a related
newsgroup post:

>    Anyone who slaps a "this page is best viewed with
Browser X" label
>     on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old
days, before the
>     Web, when you had very little chance of reading a
document written on
>     another computer, another word processor, or another
network.
> 	    [Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996]
>

> While I agree that such buttons encourage people to
upgrade their browsers,
> I still believe that interoperability should be first
and foremost.  Pretty
> soon, we will be seeing more than just multiple browsers
on multiple
> platforms;  we will be seeing user-agents other than
personal computers.

> We already have WebTV.  Soon we'll have flat panel
newsreaders that allow
> you to read the online news sites while relaxing in your
recliner or
> voice-interactive browsers that allow you to surf the
web while driving in
> the car.
>
> Such implementations _rely_ on the interoperability of
HTML and require
> that the pages remain written in a standard structural
markup.
> Non-standard markup would mean that such innovative
user-agents would be