Re: Best viewed with...

by Chuck Evans <chuck.evans(at)enduracorp.com>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Jan 1998 10:39:56 -0800
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:05 AM 1/9/98 -0800, Felan shena Thoron'edras wrote:

>Is it our job to 'force' people to upgrade?
>
>I would rather that a new technology or method of doing things stand
>or fail based on whether it actually does something people want, rather
>than based on whether web designers force people to look at things using
>it.

If said in an inoffensive way, I find nothing wrong with saying "this site
best viewed with..." as long as the site is written in a way that it is
still viewable with whatever browser the visitor uses (that is, it degrades
gracefully).

I surf with NN4 98% of the time. I also go to Microsoft's site frequently.
MS does not even have to tell me their site is better viewed with IE4, but
the point is I can still get the information I need with NN4.

I see notifications all the time that a site is better viewed with one
browser or another, but it doesn't force me 1) not to enter the site or 2)
boot up the other browser to visit the site.

I take such "warnings" as saying "If you want to see the site the way I
designed it to look best, use this browser."

I don't find that offensive. I bet 90% of the rest of the Net doesn't either.