Re: professionalism and wysiwyg

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Oct 1998 15:07:38 -0700
 To:  MIchael Channing wilson <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:01 p.m. 10/09/98 -0400, MIchael Channing wilson wrote:
>Now that's a pant load if I ever heard it.

Charming.

>I have designed many a site,
>which in order to validate, would have required changing or removing
>certain portions of the site.

Such as what?  Can you give an example rather than just stating
this?  What exactly are you doing that requires entire portions
of the site to be removed?

By the way -- someone mentioned creating a site entirely in Flash.
It's perfectly valid HTML 4.0 to include Flash or any other
multimedia.  You can make validatable web pages and still include
advanced technology.  If you think otherwise, then you may need
to do some more study into what HTML 4.0 does and doesn't
allow.

>If your into creating BORING pages,
>validation is easy. Exciting requires that a few rules be broken here
>and there.

Which rules do you need to break for excitement?

>And when I say exciting I don't mean CSS, Kynn.

Can you give an example, then?  CSS, Javascript, and DOM combine to
make DHTML (by most definitions), and most people define that as
"exciting".  Those technologies need standards in order to function
on more than one company's browser...

>BTW how do
>you know for 100% absolutely sure that "This is a myth."? Did you start
>it? If not, who did?

I'm not sure I understand the question you're trying to ask here.

Actually, the idea that correct use of HTML leads to boring web
design was probably popularized by David Siegal, a book author
who has stated repeatedly that you need to break the rules to
make "cool" sites, but now has recently reversed his stance and
supports efforts such as the WSP.

>What was their basis for doing so? Do you speak
>from personal experience or are you just repeating something you've
>heard? What sites have you created that were "lovely, interactive,
>high-tech, cutting edge stuff" that validated on the first shot and
>required no extra time to "tweak" to validation after the initial
>conception?

Personal experience.  In general, designing to the standard after
the fact is harder than doing it from the start; however, as there
are a great number of benefits in creating valid HTML code, it's
a step that more companies will likely be taking as they create
new web ventures.  It's the key to the future of the web, really.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California