Re: Ten Second Delays

by "Chuck McGee, Jr." <cmj(at)airmail.net>

 Date:  Tue, 01 Sep 1998 17:08:40 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Everyone,

Michael started with ...

At 12:11 PM 9/1/98 +1000, Michael Abramovich wrote:
>OK, now I've looked at the examples in your post Kynn, I understand. I
thought
>that a splash page was something like the page at
>
>http://drmartens.createtech.com/splash_swf.html
Thanks, Michael, for pointing out a site that I'm professional involved
with ... I could always use the exposure ... ;-)  however, in the context
to which you mentioned it ... it didn't really help very much because ...
you see ... that is the development area, not the live area.  In other
words, you didn't point to the front end at http://www.drmartens.com/  The
front end may have been a better example for you to use with regards to the
"splash" theory. ...  ;-)

and then Kynn responded to Mike with ...

At 07:26 PM 8/31/98 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>Uhm, no offense, Michael, but I looked at the URL you quoted above,
>and got a completely black page.  [*]  To me, it sure didn't seem to
>add anything to the site, unless it's a page about black panthers
>with their eyes closed on a moonless night.
>
>[*] Opera 3.2, Windows 95.  It's similarly blank in Lynx.
You're absolutely correct Kynn ... you would not be able to see it as it
was intended because if you were directed to the front end, you would have
been given a choice, with instructions, help pages and options for your
particular hardware and software.  In your particular situation Kynn, you
would have been able to visit the "mini-site" without the bells and
whistles, yet .. still having the ability to browse the content.  I know
... I use Opera as well ... *g* (note: we are striving to accomplish this
as an exhaustive solution to the visitor ... obviously we are still in the
process of providing these additional features daily as the site is not
entirely complete .. but more like continuously improved)

and then Pat responded to Kynn with ...

At 04:45 AM 9/1/98 +0100, Pat Crawford wrote:
>Wow! It sure ain't blank on NN4.05.=20

Wow!  That's encouraging news ... ;-)  I'm happy that you visited
successfully.

>It was only when I got that message about having too much time on my
>hands (see Funhouse section)that I came back to reality.

*grin* ... that section gets so many people in trouble ... ;-)

>So I tried Netscape Navigator 3.01. A different, but just as good,
>experience.=20

Great! ... That's three down and a "million" or so to go ... ;-)

>This is ideal for it's market but, Michael, maybe you could use another
>line in your splash page code to give me a message in Mosaic 2.11 and
>other similar browsers.  Just "I'm sorry you can't view this page it is
>interactive and your browser is not designed to handle this material"
>would let folk know that their browser hasn't crashed. What do you
>think?

Thanks Pat ... I think that is a very good suggestion.  I hope to remedy
this by limiting the entrance to the front end where I feel it does a fair
job of explaining to the visitor what the site is about and how it was
designed.  I haven't quite nailed down the specifics, but the thought is in
hand.

FWIW ... I just hate it when I get to a site and I get auto-pushed to where
my browser is best suited for ... I want to make this decision.  Like
frames or java for instance ... just because my browser(s) are capable of
viewing them ... it doesn't necessarily mean that I want to.  Is that so
bad ... ?  Am I distorted in some way for wanting to choose my own path?
Is it wrong for me to want to take a country road in my vette rather than
the freeway, where the vette is more suited?  Or vice versa for that matter.

You see, I don't consider the Dr. Marten's front page as a "splash" page if
you will ... I consider it an introduction or a ma=EE=B7tre d' of sorts.  As=
side note ... we tried browser detection from the beginning ... it worked
for some ... but it caused us more trouble when the users didn't read the
instructions and would attempt to do certain things that would crash them
down.  It appeared more harmful to send visitors in without warning ..
sometimes resulting in them getting a wee bit angry if they crashed ...
this is what we are trying to accomplish by the entrance.

The site is primarily for entertainment purposes ... much like a gaming
site in essence, but with (we hope) a bit more sophistication.  That's my
view on it ...=20

Thanks again for the mention and the visits to the site ... ;-)

/end

------------Web Site Development & Consulting-----------
Chuck McGee, Jr.	http://web2.airmail.net/cmj/
---------------Member of HTML Writers Guild----------------