=?iso-8859-1?Q?RE:_Accessible_tables?=

by Mike Scott <mscott2(at)msfw.com>

 Date:  Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:52:18 -0600 (CST)
 To:  <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> The Access Board, DoT, DoJ and Treasury all require
> reqiure a complete summary attribute for all tables
> (layout or not) as well as "blank" in all empty cells
> and "spacer" in all place holding gifs.

Hopefully this is a misunderstanding. If it is true, something has gone
very, very astray in the implementation of 508.

Use of the summary attribute is not referenced anywhere in the 508
Standards. In the Federal IT Accessibility Initiative's "508 Universe"
(www.section508.gov/508/) course called "Building Accessible Web Sites",
using the summary attribute is mentioned only in a section identified
as "additional design techniques not required under the 508 standards". The
recommendation to "Provide summaries for tables" is W3C WCAG Checkpoint
5.5, which is a priority 3 (least important) checkpoint at that.
Additionally, all of the checkpoints in W3C Guideline 5 focus on "truly
tabular information (data tables)", not "layout tables" (which W3C
discourages).

There is room for discussion on what is the most beneficial use of summary
on layout tables. A similar discussion on the W3C WAI Interest Group list
led to no clear consensus. (There were a number of suggestions that
summary="" (null) should be recommended, which were countered by the point
that the W3C shouldn't be making recommendations for the use of summary on
layout tables if they were discouraging the use of layout tables at all.)
My experience is definitely in line with Brian Walker's -- that summaries
on layout tables are simply extra verbiage for screen reader users to wade
through and should not be used in most cases.

Regarding alt text on spacer images, the same 508 training course
specifically says "For 'non-essential' images - that is, those that are
unrelated to page content (e.g., spacer GIFs) - supply an empty alt
attribute". The use of the word "spacer" as a text equivalent for an
invisible place holding image would be a sad misinterpretation of the
intent of the standards.

I'm sure we could get Doug Wakefield from the Access Board to comment on
these issues if anyone honestly feels that the Feds are actually enforcing,
or even encouraging, these kinds of requirements.

Mike