Re: Basic change of format

by "Mike Hopkins" <ironmike(at)ia.net>

 Date:  Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:21:59 -0500
 To:  "HWG-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
STOP ! ! !  DON'T DO THIS ! ! !

Read this first, please.

Word uses what are called "curly quotes" or "smart quotes". <<TEXT editors>>
use what are known as "straight quotes". Some text editors do not convert
pasted-in curly quotes to straight quotes accurately.

In order for a <<WORD PROCESSOR>> to keep track internally which symbol is
next, it (1) counts how many quotes have been entered. If the quote count is
zero, the next quote symbol is an opening quote, and if the quote count is
one, a closing quote is used next and the count is reset.

High-level word processors such as Word and Word Perfect also (2) tie the
quote symbol to the adjoining character string and use program logic to
determine which quote is expected, based on whether it is at the beginning
or end of a string of text. This is supposed to handle inserting quotes
manually in reverse order.

Text editors can ONLY insert the "straight quote" code, period. When a blob
of text is pasted into an editor, the quotes might << appear >> to you on
screen like straight quotes or some odd symbol the editor displays for
unknown characters, but the actual computer code will be for "curly quotes"
or nothing at all if he text editor can't recognize the codes. The executing
program will not execute properly because it is looking for "straight
quote"-delineated information.

As an analogy, think of a database which expects a comma-delineated list.
Today someone made some typos, and the list has two or three lines with < as
the delineator. Guess how the DB will react.

That was a rough explanation of "curly" and "straight" quotes, I know, but
it should make the point.

The Curly quote problem is an old problem from the early days of character
codes. Today it is more of a problem in layout programs than modern text
editors, I think.

SOME modern text editors can make the translation from curly quotes to
straight quotes without any problem. It depends on the editor, the version,
etc. Check yours by pasting in a few words with quotes. If straight quotes
show up you probably don't have a problem. If there is anything else, you
should be able to turn off smart quotes in your word processor.

In Word 97 you can turn off curly quotes using AutoCorrect. Use the FIND
feature of Help to search for "quotes". I assume that Word Perfect can do
something similar. Will someone please check and post that information? Note
that you must use the <FIND> feature, <NOT> the index.

After curly quotes are turned off you can use Word as an editor, subject to
Ted's caution.

All the above is true for both single and double quotes.

I've been experimenting:
In upscale MS Wordpad, pasted material stays the same as it originally was
in Word, but Wordpad itself is only capable of inserting straight quotes.

Lowly NotePad translates curly to straight just fine. Go figure.

Also,
In Word 97 you can choose:  Tools => Options => View => Wrap to Window to
turn off enforced line length. Or, choose "Online Layout" from the "View
menu". In Online Layout there are no margins and text wraps only to fit the
screen, not a margin. If you save the document as HTML from Online Layout,
the HTML file will have quotes changed to character entities.

HTH,

Mike
Have no prisoners; hold no grudges;
go on with life.