Re: A Perfect Web Site!

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:00:05 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I would just like to add that I bought a Dell Inspiron
specifically so I could dual boot for the road...I pre-checked the
hardware for Linux compatibility.  My installation of Red Hat 7.0
went flawlessly using the GUI: point and click options.  All
hardware was auto-detected and worked perfectly when I was done:
sound card, built-in screen and an external monitor, cordless
scrolling mouse, external floppy, internal DVD, mouse pad and
keyboard mouse joystick, Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet/modem.
Additionally, it found the network like a snap.

While it's true that the OS still isn't quite to the point of
ease-of-use that Windows is for the new user, it's getting very
close.  I was online and on the Internet with NN4 within a half
hour +/- of sticking the installation CD in the drive.

Getting the dual-boot in place with Win2K was a bit more work, but
I am not a PC tech by any means and I managed it.  Samba is next
when I have some breathing space...:).  The point I want to make,
however, is that a PC is really not the perfect appliance for
anyone wanting simplicity...it's not as predictable as a car and
not as automatic as a refrigerator or as reliable as...well,
almost any other technology.  Internet appliances will eventually
fill that role...plug it in and push the button for email or
whatever...but, until then, wizards make things very easy and
wizards can be written by any programmer...even for Linux.  After
all, they aren't anything more than a shell script (.bat file, DOS
folks) with a GUI interface...:)

From: "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

At 06:19 PM 2/12/01 -0800, Ted Temer wrote:
>Justin:
>
>True--Linux is growing--and when it grows out of the embryo
stage, I'm sure
>we will all be giving it more thought. But for now, the load is
on the
>shoulders of those using that Operating System.

Hold on. Wait a minute Ted. With all due respect, yer nuts. The
last I
heard *NIX ran about 80% of the servers on the 'net and one hugely
substantial part of Corporate America's AND Higher Academia's
desktop.

The *popularity with non institutional users* is embryonic, I
could by
that, but the not the OS deployment - No Way Dude.