Re: Menus and Browsers

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:37:29 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Question No.1 : When do you want your menu text to change?

Let's assume you want to do it when a link is clicked on the menu bar
  No way to do it except use JS to load a file in current frame
  with changed text and the actual content file in the other frame.

As for backward compatibility - the criteria that should guide you in
this should be your prospective visitors not the content. You cannot
say "Sci-Fi fans mostly use this type of broswers" because ... well,
you just can't!

The second thing is - don't add something that is not needed. Ask
yourself the question: "What is the alternative for adding this? Can I
do away with it and maintain the site quality?" You will know what to
do when you answer this -- and this is a question that ONLY you can
answer as the designer of the site. This goes mostly for the "new"
technologies which do not enjoy a wide base - like Java (most of the
people I bump into have it turned off anyway. I'm speaking locally).
No point in asking this question for using an image of a robot, is
there !? ;-)

Enjoy and let me know the URL once the site is done.

[abhay]