RE: topmargin/leftmargin validation

by Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>

 Date:  Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:38:59 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 2/5/04 at 01:10 PM, Captain F.M. O'Lary <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net> wrote:

> I am *personally* familiar with the local school district's technology
> - too familiar.
>
> I can tell you unequivocally that upwards of 85 % of the computers in
> this district do not use MSIE ~at all~.
>
> Something on the order of 65-70% of those, are running NN3.X OR LOWER.
>
> The big exception being district administrative offices where the
> wouldn't know a mouse from a moose if it fell on them. They are using
> MSIE 5.X and Ouchlook Express.
>
> Again, FWIW. Fuzzy. <Like Ted Sez: Know Thy Audience.

I have a non-profit hobby site [ http://amillionlives.com ] that has
been up for over 3 years and is now getting about 1500 unique visitors
per day. So it is not a huge sampling, but is fairly large. This site
has always had a large percentage of vistors from schools, libraries,
underdeveloped countries, and other low-tech areas.

At first, my stats were showing about 15% using any 3.0 browser or
older. That number has been declining over the years and now is a shade
under 4% (although the bulk of my referrers is still schools, et. al.).
About 2.5% use Netscape 3. 1.3% use IE 2. A mere handful use IE 3 and
Nestcape 2 and others.

I am a bit surprised by these numbers, considering what I have heard and
anecdotal evidence such as Fuzzy's.

Ken

http://www.thirdlives.com
ThirdLives