Re: How to Turn Down a Client

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 19:33:50 EDT
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dear Friends:

Having read some of this debate and so far have resisted adding to an
unwinnable argument, I read:

> In the printing business we have a few ways of turning down a
>  less-than-perfect client:

I've been in the printing business for 20+ years and can't relate at all to
the reasons posted.

- We offer a fair price for our work. If it doesn't fit the client's budget,
then we are not the vendor for them;

- I've never had "too many clients" and don't believe that any potential
client is foolish enough to believe that. Don't insult the buyer no matter
who they are;

- If the project doesn't fit our equipment or range of abilities, we tell the
client the truth;

- First time clients always pay COD until a line of credit is established and
credentials are checked. That's commonly understood - if a client refuses
those terms, then you certainly don't want that business. Been there, been
burned....

- Tell client you have an agreement with a compeitor not to take on
competitive business????

- Refer him/her to a competitor who better suits the project is probably the
best suggestion I've heard yet.  You're not stalling, lying, or doing
anything unethical. The client will see you as honest, helpful, and looking
out for their interest.  Could mean return business at a later date!  BUT -
it can be a double edged sword since that potential client might grow his/her
business with the competitor you sent him/her to!

One writer stated that to string someone along "is disrepectful, unethical
and poor business."

The respondent wrote: "Then why does everybody do it?"

Sorry - like I said, 20+ years in the business and this is the first I've
heard of this tactic.  It's just bad business. Nope - "everybody" doesn't do
it!

Mr. Ocean has found his market and is doing business with the people who want
to do business with him and has found success.  He won't do business with
everyone - you can't do business with *everyone*.

You decide how you want to conduct yourself in the sales arena - the
marketplace is very democratic...it will decide if you're right or wrong.

Just remember, though - you will be treated as you've treated others.....

- Jeff K.