RE: You must be hard up for clients....

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Wed, 19 Apr 2000 06:53:26 -0500
 To:  "Bob Masters" <admin(at)BobMasters.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:46 AM 4/19/00 -0400, Bob Masters wrote:
>The best clients you will probably have are those who have been burned by
>someone else (and there are sure a lot of them). I tell them to take a close
>look at (my) competition, talk to (their) clients and then do what is best
>for (my solicited client).  I've only lost two clients over the years and
>one of them came back after sending a beautiful letter - asking if I would
>take her back!

This is true.  One of my latest clients had an unfortunate webmaster
experience ... but they came to me because of a recommendation by another
client.

And yes, I've seen some godawfully designed sites--but I've never pretended
to be a customer and then sent e-mail to the client to try and woo them away.

>Do you have 'brain-storming' sessions with clients on or about their website
>anniversaries: "If we had it to do over again what would you like to see
>done differently?" I've been told this is asking for trouble but my
>experience has been quite the opposite. They are quite happy to fund
>redesign when they were participants in the incentive.

Actually, yes.  It doesn't necessarily happen on their web site
anniversaries, though--it's whenever I know there's a big hole in my
schedule coming up.  *sigh*  Unfortunately, there are still those clients
who are perfectly happy with what I did for them several years ago and
don't see any reason for change, despite my most persuasive arguments.  Oh,
well.

Rachel