Re: NEW WEBSITE

by "Smokin' Dave" <smokindave(at)pipeline.com>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:56:46 -0500
 To:  killian(at)ilikethis.cz,
"James G. Krutz" <melchzdk(at)anv.net>
 Cc:  David William McKay <davmckay(at)execulink.com>, hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:54 AM 4/23/99 +0200, i like this! wrote:
>I have been lurking for awhile now as I have been quite busy and not had
>an opportunity to contribute to the list (i'm sure to many people's
>delight).  However, I read this post by James G. Krutz regarding the
>respective web site and have to wonder, why this list even exists in the
>first place if it is not to perpetuate and increase the awareness of
>good web?  I am not a web design sage by any means, but i can say this
>much, i will never post another site here for critique as the usefulness
>and professional objectivity of the responses i can expect will do
>nothing to contribute toward polishing my skills or advancing to the
>next level of web design.  A sugar coated slap on the back is not what
>this list should be about and I am unsubscribing today.  However, before
>I do, I am going to make my last contribution here.  I constantly see a
>very low standard of design on this list and very little contribution
>from list members to point out why "this web page sucks" and how to make
>it better as much as i see "looks great.  nice job." nonsense.  The web
>site that spawned this final e-mail from me DOES NOT LOOK GOOD and is a
>far cry from even being considered as anything more than a simple HTML
>document, with a terrible background color and choice of font. This does
>not equal GOOD WEB!  Sorry.  But this page needs some serious work from
>at least an aesthetic perspective.  If this list flinches at such brave
>suggestions as "we recommend starting over and here is why" then this is
>absolutely the lousiest resource in the world for an aspiring web
>developer or somebody who simply needs some feedback to assist them in
>making their site better.  I would suggest today to any new list members
>here to unsubscribe and check out lists like Hesketh or something.  I am
>not sure what the HWG is trying to promote... but if the unprofessional,
>uncritical and unambitious responses I have witnessed her are any
>testimony... it is not the awareness of excellent web design!

<SNIP>

Killian,

Just read your letter. Long paragraphs. Big words. Bad choice of fonts. You
might even want to contain further correspondence inside of tables, so that
your text doesn't sprawl across the page. Kinda hard on the eyes, y'know.
But I'm not an email "sage", by any means, so what do I know? Still, I'll
give you a slap on the back for your efforts. You're getting there! :)

Smokin' Dave