RE: drop shadows.

by "Shay Jones" <shay(at)wcnet.net>

 Date:  Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:42:19 -0600
 To:  "Kyle Matthews" <jits(at)ihug.co.nz>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm not really sure why you would be having a problem creating the drop
shadows since it's one of the easiest things to do in Photoshop.  However,
to give you a quick lesson...
1. Make sure your image mode is set to RGB - Not Index
2. Select the white area using the magic wand
3. Invert the selection
4. Open a new layer (selection is still made on new layer)
5. Fill the selected areas on the new layer with black or gray (or whatever
you want the shadow color to be)
Hint:  Use Edit/Fill
6. Select the entire area of the new layer
7. Apply the Gaussian blur
8. Deselect the image
9. Use the move tool to move the image around to the position you want your
drop shadow to appear
Hint:  Select the move tool and use the cursor keys to count your movement -
Example: place the shadow at 5 pixels to the right and 5 pixels down
That's it - It's pretty easy.
On your image, if you want to select just the line, use the color selector
instead of the magic wand and select the color of the line - Again, very
simple operation.
I've completed both images as I've described and will send them to you
through another email attachment.

Good luck

Shay