Re: Images for an etext

by Liam Quin <liam(at)holoweb.net>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:49:27 -0400
 To:  hwg-gutenberg-dtds(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 03:03:04PM -0700, Murray Altheim wrote:
> Unfortunately, there's no standardized way in XML to attach a notation to
> a linked object, nor to anything except element content.
This should be part of XLink, of course.  I don't know whether it will be.

As for notations...

In general, it's better simply to point at something, without saying
what format you think it's in.  Served over the web, a png image might
be converted to jpg on the fly, for example, or replaced by a textual
description.

The XML notation spec is not well done at all; it's best to avoid them
altogether, I think, unfortunately.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam(at)holoweb.net - http://www.holoweb.net/